161 East Harper Avenue, Maryville, TN 865-984-0116
Grace Building Expansion
Grace Community Church exists “for the equipping of the saints for the work of service, to the building up of the body of Christ; until we all attain to the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to a mature man, to the measure of the stature which belongs to the fullness of Christ.” (Ephesians 4:12-13)
We believe that God has uniquely gifted us to accomplish this vision with a building located in the heart of downtown Maryville, TN. As such, our elders, at a September 16, 2018 church family meeting, presented a plan to optimize and expand the space in our existing building to most effectively support our ministry.
Holston Construction Services and Dollar & Ewers Architecture, Inc. each made presentations of information they gathered over several months regarding the possibilities of expanding the building. Please find below details that were presented during the Church Family Meeting.
A. Building/Facilities Information
B. Building/Facilities needs
- The engineering survey for our building was completed and Holston Construction presented the overall plans for what a full building remodel would entail.
- The construction firm gave strong affirmation that our building is suitable for, and in fact an excellent candidate for a remodel.
C. Our Desires for Future Ministry
- Ron O’Dell, elder, presented information on pressing forward on at least a portion of the remodel as being desirable at this time.
- Chris Riser, elder, presented information on our “theology of facilities,” and the desirability of a church that is growing in both the depth and breadth which God desires.
D. Debt Reduction/Building Remodel Plan
- Growth and depth in all our current ministries.
- Extension of counseling/jail ministry into church based “half-way” houses to provide gospel opportunities for those struggling in intense ways.
- Church planting opportunities in the 50 mile radius around GCC.
- Extension of ministries requires finances and people – which requires facilities.
Here are sketches from Dollar & Ewers for proposed renovations and expansion for Grace Community Church:
- We do not believe it is wise to increase our budget spending in 2019.
- We would like to be able to press forward in a portion of our building remodel – particularly because the estimates given to us will only be viable for about six months.
- In order to prohibit an increase in our 2019 budget, and pursue a portion of the remodel, we propose to try to pay off the debt on our main building by January 1. ($200,000)
- If we are able to pay off this portion of the current loan, we would then seek a remodel loan for about $400,000 – 15 years at about 5.5% – the payment of which would essentially match our current debt retirement. Thus we would not be adding to our 2019 budget.
- This needs to be done by January in order for the remodel estimates to be operative – thus allowing us to begin construction without paying additional funds for new estimation work that has already been done.
- Any money given toward remodeling/debt reduction (over and above our 2018 budget) will be put toward debt reduction, even if we do not receive enough to start remodeling. Thus we will benefit by paying down our debt regardless of the remodel progress.